IN THE GLOBAL MARKETPLACE,
WE'RE ALL LITTLE GUYS.
The Montana Office of Consumer Protection
puts the law on your side.
The Office of Consumer Protection seeks to protect Montana consumers from, and educate them about, harmful and unfair practices by retail businesses. The Consumer Protection Act prohibits businesses from taking advantage of consumers and the Office of Consumer Protection is here to help. Some of the laws enacted include:
The major responsibilities of the Office of Consumer Protection include:
- Providing information to consumers about the Consumer Protection Act
- Enforcing consumer laws designed to protect the consumer from unfair or deceptive business practices
- Assisting consumers by distributing consumer education materials including consumer alerts and scam alerts
- Investigating false, misleading, or deceptive trade practices
- Assisting in the preparation of legislation designed to protect consumers
- Enforcing statutes relating to telephone solicitation and telemarketing
- Participating in multi-jurisdictional actions with other state and federal law enforcement agencies
- Advising consumers of complaints on file against specific businesses (upon request)
Here are a few quick links to some of our resources below.
Download a form to mail or fax to the Office of Consumer Protection
File online (Have all information handy as your web session will time out after 45 minutes – you will be notified if this happens)
We have a lot more information about the consumer complaint process here.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction CLICK HERE FOR CURRENT UP-TO-DATE RECALLS.
Office of Consumer Protection
P.O. Box 200151
Helena, MT 59620-0151
Phone: (800) 481-6896 or (406) 444-4500
Fax: (406) 442-2174
(Our office is located at 555 Fuller Avenue, Helena, MT 59601)