In Montana, telemarketing is defined as using the phone to encourage consumers to purchase, rent or invest in goods, property or services. If you wish to stop receiving telemarketing calls, put your phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry.OCP
For an up-to-date list of bonded telemarketers that are licensed with the Montana Secretary of State, and registered with the Montana Attorney General’s Office of Consumer Protection, please click here.
You can reduce the number of unwanted sales (telemarketing) calls you receive by signing up on the National Do Not Call Registry, which is managed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The National Do Not Call Registry is a list of phone numbers that telemarketers are not allowed to call. It is free to sign up:
- You can add up to three numbers by signing up online at the National Do Not Call Registry. If you register online, you will receive a confirmation e-mail from donotcall.gov. You must click on the link in the e-mail within 72 hours to complete your registration.
- Call (888) 382-1222 or TTY (866) 290-4236 from the phone number you wish to add. For example, to add your home phone number, you must call using your home telephone.
Telephone numbers on the Registry do not expire. Your number is only removed when it’s disconnected and reassigned, or if you ask for it to be removed. To remove your name from the Registry, call (888) 382-1222 and follow the instructions provided.
For complete, detailed information, directly from the FTC, on how to register, what registration means for you, what calls are covered and more, click here.
Most telemarketers should not call your number once it has been on the Registry for 31 days. If a telemarketer continues to call: FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST THE TELEMARKETER WITH THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISION.
Additionally, please be aware that:
- Even if your number is not on the National Do Not Call Registry, you still can ask a company to put you on its own do-not-call list. The company must honor your request.
- It is against the law for a telemarketer to call you before 8 a.m. and after 9 p.m.
- Recorded telemarketing messages (also known as robocalls) are illegal in Montana under MCA 45-8-216. However, there are a few exceptions, such as the use of recorded messages to tell a customer that previously ordered goods are available for pick-up
Who Can Still Call Me After I Sign Up?
Most telemarketers will be required to stop calling you 31 days from your registration date. However, be aware that Montana law permits some organizations to call even after you sign up on the Do Not Call Registry:
- Political campaigns and surveys are not covered by the National Do Not Call Registry.
- Charities and nonprofits can still call you. If you do not want them to call, ask that they put you on their do-not-call list. If you ask them to, they must do so.
- Telemarketers you have authorized to call will still be able to call.
- Telemarketers who have an existing or previous business relationship with you .
In addition to telephone calls, are there any restrictions on FAX messages? Yes, Montana law prohibits the sending of unsolicited advertisements to telephone facsimile machines.