Most transactions and all testing require appointment scheduling.
The days and hours of operation, and the services available at Montana’s driver license stations vary by location:
- Motorcycle Endorsement: Written exams for the motorcycle endorsement are available at any driver license station through appointment scheduling.
- You must pass the written test before you make an appointment to take the road test.
- Motorcycle road tests are not given on wet roads.
- Commercial Driver License (CDL) Testing:
- CDL written test: Can be taken at any driver license station. Schedule the test through appointment scheduling. See the schedule above for current information.
- CDL road test: While Class C testing is available at all driver license stations, Class A and B testing is available only at the offices indicated.
- For a Class A CDL road test, call the Customer Care Center at 1-866-450-8034 to make an appointment.
- For a Class B and C CDL driving test, call the driver license station indicated to make an appointment.
- State Holidays: All driver license stations are closed on state holidays.
- Allow Sufficient Time: Written and road examinations take time, so come early in the day to make sure there is sufficient time for a test. Driver license exam stations tend to get busier during the afternoon. People who come into an office in the late afternoon may find that the staff does not have sufficient time to administer the required test. If you do not have an appointment, please try to arrive at least two hours before closing time to allow adequate time for testing. Many driver license exam stations can not service walk-ins. Please use the appointment scheduling.
Rural Locations with Driver Exam Services – In rural locations, if you need to obtain or renew a driver license, first pay for the license at your county treasurer’s office. The county treasurer will give you a receipt. You must present the receipt to the driver examiner.
Rural Counties without Driver Exam Services – There are some rural counties in which driver exam services are not available: Carter, Garfield, Golden Valley, Jefferson, Judith Basin, Madison, Petroleum, Prairie, Treasure, and Wibaux.
To get or renew a license, residents of these counties may pay for and take their driver exams at one of the driver license exam stations where a prepaid receipt is not required. See the Schedule of Office Hours and Locations at the top of this page.
Mobile Phone Restriction – As a courtesy to people taking their knowledge tests, mobile phone use is not allowed in driver license exam stations. Please turn off your mobile phone when you enter a driver license exam station.
Questions or Comments – Call your local office on the days it is open if you have questions or concerns.