Montana Department of Justice
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Welcome to the MVD Frequently Asked Questions page! Here, we’ve consolidated the most commonly asked questions from the public. However, for the most comprehensive information, we recommend visiting the appropriate MVD web page (Driver Licensing, Title and Registration, License Plates) or calling (406) 444-3933.

Driver Licensing


Light Vehicle Title and Registration

License Plates


Driver Licensing

How do I get a Montana driver license?

Montana residents who meet the age requirements and who wish to obtain a driver license must pass both a written knowledge test and a road skills test. Both tests can be taken at any Montana driver license exam station. If you’ve recently moved to Montana and have a valid driver license from another state, the driver license examiner may, at their discretion, waive the written and road skills test.

What are the age requirements for obtaining a Montana Driver License?

All applicants ages 18 and over may apply for a full privileged driver license. A 16 year may apply for a learner license with the written consent of their parent or guardian. A 15 year old may apply for a learner license upon completion of a state-approved traffic education program and with the written consent of their parent or guardian. After satisfying the requirements of the learner license, a teen may apply for a first-year restricted license.

How much does a driver license cost?

Along with the flat .50 cent fee for mailing the license renewal reminder, the cost of a class D (non-commercial) license is $5 for every year it is valid for. For example, a license valid for 8 years would be $40.50, a license valid for 7 years would be $35.50, etc. Typically, applicants between the ages of 21 and 67 will receive a license valid for 8 years. More information can be found at cost and length of a regular license.

What documents do I need to bring with me when applying for a driver license?

If you are a new applicant or applicant new to Montana, you will need to bring the following: two documents as proof of identity, proof of authorized presence, and proof of Montana residency.

What forms of payment are accepted?

Cash, check, money order, and credit cards.

Do I need to schedule an appointment?

Yes.  Most transactions require appointment scheduling.

How do I renew my driver license?

You may renew your license in person at any driver license exam station. If you are temporarily out of state or in a county that does not provide driver license services, you may renew by mail. However if you renew by mail, your next renewal must be done in person.

I lost my driver license, what should I do?

You may obtain a replacement license from any driver license exam station in person by bringing in two documents as proof of identity and a form of payment. If you are temporarily out of state, you may request a replacement license by mail using Replacement Driver License by Mail (form 21-2000). The cost of a replacement license is $10.

How should I prepare for my driver license exam?

To prepare for the written knowledge test, read through and be familiar with the Montana Driver Manual. Applicants can also practice using the Driver Test mobile application, available on iTunes. To prepare for the road skills test, get as much time as you can behind the wheel under the supervision of a licensed driver before testing.

How do I obtain a certified copy of my birth certificate?

 A certified birth certificate can serve as both proof of identity and proof of authorized presence. If you were born in Montana, you may obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate from the Department of Health and Human Services’ Vital Statistics office, or, in some cases, at your County Treasurer’s Office. If you were born in another state, please refer to the CDC’s state directory for your vital records.


What is REAL ID?

In 2005 the United States Congress passed the REAL ID Act based on a recommendation from the 9/11 Commission to establish “standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver’s licenses.”

Is Montana going to issue REAL ID compliant credentials?

Yes. In 2017 the Montana Legislature passed SB 366 authorized Montana to issue REAL ID compliant credentials.

When will Montana begin to issue REAL ID compliant credentials?

If Montana continues to receive extensions from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), then beginning in January of 2019, Montana will begin issuing REAL ID compliant credentials. If extensions are denied, then Montana will begin issuing REAL ID compliant credentials as soon as possible.

When will I need a REAL ID compliant identification to travel domestically by air?

If Montana does not receive another extension, starting January 22, 2018, travelers with a Montana driver license or identification card must have an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel to board their flight.

Starting October 1, 2020, every air traveler will need a REAL ID compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel.

When will I need a REAL ID compliant identification to access federal facilities?

If Montana does not receive another extension from Department of Homeland Security (DHS), starting October 10, 2017, a person with a Montana driver license or identification card who is visiting a military base or almost all federal facilities will be required to have an alternative form of acceptable identification to access the federal facility

Does Montana have an extension on the full implementation of the REAL ID Act?

Yes. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) granted Montana an extension through October 10, 2017. DHS indicated that additional extensions will only be granted if Montana continues to demonstrate a commitment “to achieving full compliance and making substantial and documented progress” of the REAL ID Act.

When will the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) begin enforcement of the REAL ID Act for Montana?

DHS will not give any extension beyond October 1, 2020. On that date, all individuals who want to access certain federal facilities or travel by air in the United States, must have either a REAL ID compliant credential or an acceptable alternative form of identification.

DHS indicated that additional extensions will only be granted if Montana continues to demonstrate a commitment “to achieving full compliance and making substantial and documented progress” of the REAL ID Act.

Montana will continue to request extensions. For the current enforcement status and schedule, please visit the DHS website.

What are the accepted alternative forms of identification for air travel?

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has many types of identification that are acceptable instead of a REAL ID compliant driver license or state issued identification card. You may find a list of these alternative forms of identification at the TSA website.

You may contact your airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers.

Are there federal facilities that REAL ID does not apply to?

There are certain federal facilities that do not require a person to present identification. You may find the types of federal facilities at the DHS website under “Limitations.”

Do I have to get a REAL ID compliant credential?

No. MVD offers compliant and non-compliant credentials. The decision to get a REAL ID compliant credential is yours.

Is there an additional fee to get a REAL ID compliant credential?

Yes. The fee varies depending on when your credential expires.

  • $25.00 if applying for a REAL ID compliant credential at your regular renewal period
  • $50.00 if applying for a REAL ID compliant credential outside of a regular renewal period

Why is there an additional fee to get a REAL ID compliant credential?

REAL ID requires additional equipment, security steps to our processes, employees, and system upgrades to meet federal requirements. The additional fees fund these requirements. The fees collected may only be used to fund the costs associated with providing REAL ID compliant credentials.

How many REAL ID compliant credentials will the State issue to me?

Only one.

Will MVD issue me a REAL ID compliant credential and a non-compliant credential?

Yes. You can hold only one REAL ID compliant credential, either a driver license or an identification card. The chart shows the options for holding a REAL ID compliant credential and a non-compliant credential(s). If you decide to have a REAL ID compliant credential, you may select one of the following options:

Driver License Identification Card
REAL ID Compliant Non-compliant REAL ID Complaint Non-compliant
One None None As many as you pay for
None One One None

How can you tell if a credential is REAL ID compliant or not?

A REAL ID compliant credential will have a gold star on the front upper right corner.
A non-compliant credential will have words stating “Not for Federal Identification Purposes.”

Are temporary credentials REAL ID compliant?

No. Temporary credentials are made on special paper, but do not have the security features of a regular plastic credential and are not REAL ID compliant. A learner permit, commercial learner permit, restricted driver license, or temporary credential while you wait for your plastic credential are not REAL ID compliant.
Once REAL ID is fully implemented, you cannot use a temporary credential to fly domestically or to access most federal facilities.

Are Montana driver licenses and identification cards secure?

Yes. Montana produces secure credentials that deter fraud and protect the identities of its citizens.

What are the requirements for getting a REAL ID compliant credential?

When Montana is closer to issuing a REAL ID compliant credential, the Motor Vehicle website will be updated with the acceptable documents. The documents are similar to what MVD already requires to be issued a new credential with a few differences.
An individual applying for a REAL ID compliant credential must bring:

  • Documents to prove their identity.
  • Documents to prove authorized presence.
  • Documents to prove Montana residency.

What does MVD do with the documents I submit for a REAL ID compliant credential?

MVD will scan the documents. These documents will be securely stored along with all your information that MVD currently maintains on your driving record.

What is an Enhanced Driver License?

State-issued enhanced driver licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, and are issued in a secure process providing for an alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean, through a land or sea port of entry. EDLs comply with the travel rules under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). An EDL is a chipped credential that can access an individual’s biographic and biometric data.

Will Montana be issuing enhanced driver licenses?

No. The Montana Legislature has not authorized the Motor Vehicle Division to issue enhanced driver licenses. The requirements to issue an EDL are more stringent than for issuing a REAL ID compliant credential.


Light Vehicle Title and Registration

What is a light vehicle?

A light vehicle is a passenger car, pickup truck weighing 1 ton or less, van, or SUV.

What documents do I need to bring with me to title and register my vehicle?

You’ll need to bring a valid Montana driver license, proof of insurance, and a form of payment.

What forms of payment are accepted?

All County Treasurer Offices accept cash and check, though at their discretion and with some additional fees, some counties do accept credit or debit cards.

How long is my vehicle registration valid for?

Standard vehicle registrations are valid for 1 year.

How much does it cost to register my vehicle?

This depends on a variety of things, including the age of your car, the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP), and the county that you live in. Please refer to the Title and Registration web page for details.

When can I permanently register my light vehicle or motorhome?

If your light vehicle or motorhome is eleven years old or older, you may be eligible for permanent registration. According to Montana Code Annotated (MCA) 61-3-501, “the age of a vehicle is determined by subtracting the manufacturer’s designated model year from the current calendar year.” You can view all registration fees under MCA 61-3-321. You can view all permanent registration fees and considerations under MCA 61-3-562.

How is the fee for permanent registration assessed for light vehicles?

Permanent registration starts with a base fee of $87.50 for light vehicles. County option taxes are assessed and added. The $6 optional state parks support, $5 Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fee, the $5 insurance verification fee (if existing plates are kept on vehicle), and certain special plate fees and gross vehicle weight (GVW) fees (if applicable) are added as well. MCA 61-3-562 explains how fees are assessed for permanent registration, including multiplication of certain fees when permanently registering.

Can I use specialty plates when I purchase permanent registration for my light vehicle or trailer?

Certain sponsored plates are available when permanently registering your vehicle for a one-time contribution amount. However, plates that require a yearly recertification and plates that require a yearly donation fee are not eligible. These plates include: National Guard, reserved armed forces, amateur radio, and some organizational specialty plates.

Can I transfer permanent registration to another owner after I have sold the vehicle that is permanently registered?

No. Remove the permanent plates from any permanently registered vehicle before the new owner takes possession of the vehicle. You are legally and financially liable for those plates. Any damages, traffic tickets, or even criminal activities associated with permanent plates/registration are bound to the original applicant.

When can I permanently register my trailer, street-legal motorcycle, street-legal quadricycle, or snowmobile?

All trailers, street-legal motorcycles, street-legal quadricycles, and snowmobiles must be permanently registered.

How do I renew my vehicle registration?

You can renew your vehicle registration in person at your county treasurer’s office, by mail using the form included in the renewal notice mailed out, or online.

How do I title a car in my name?

All titling work should be done at your county treasurer’s office (CTO). If you purchased your car from a dealership, the dealership will have mailed your paperwork to the CTO, where you will need to go to fill it out. If you purchased your car from a private seller, you’ll need to bring the original title to your CTO, signed by the seller.

How do I get a replacement title for my vehicle?

To apply for a replacement title, you’ll need to fill out and submit form MV7 by mail to the address on the form or at your county treasurer’s office.

License Plates

What license plates can I order for my vehicle?

If you’re the registered owner of a light vehicle, you may select from any of the five standard Montana plates or from most of the non-standard plates. Some restrictions apply to a handful of plates, such as military or antique license plates.

Where do I order license plates?

You must order your license plate in person at your County Treasurer’s Office.

How much does a license plate cost?

The production fee for a standard license plate is $10. Additional fees for non-standard plates vary.

How do I personalize a plate and how much does it cost?

To personalize a plate, you’ll need to submit form MV8 at your County Treasurer’s Office when ordering a license plate. A personalized plate is an additional $25, on top of the $10 production fee, and any non-standard plate fees that may apply.

Contact the Motor Vehicle Division

MVD Headquarters, Driver Services Bureau, Vehicle Services Bureau (formerly Title & Registration Bureau), and Operations & Customer Support.

Connect with Us

Attorney General's Office & Legal Services Division

The Attorney General’s Office, headed by Attorney General Tim Fox, and the Legal Services Division function as the lawyers for the State of Montana. The attorneys in the Office have expertise in a wide range of legal topics and handle a broad range of legal cases involving the State of Montana and its people.


Children’s Justice Bureau

The Children’s Justice Bureau is an agency-wide initiative at the Montana Department of Justice dedicated to IMPROVING how we respond to child victims, DEVELOPING state-of-the-art approaches by keeping up with the newest research and, most importantly, HELPING child victims recover and move on with their lives.


Forensic Science Division & State Crime Lab

The mission of the Montana Forensic Science Division is to use operationally efficient and financially responsible practices as the laboratory provides accurate, objective, and timely forensic analyses to the criminal justice community in order to maximize value to the citizens of Montana.


Missing Persons Clearinghouse

The Missing Children Act of 1985 established a Montana Missing Persons Clearinghouse within the Department of Justice. In March 2008, the department implemented a searchable online database that, for the first time, is updated in real time and includes any photos provided by law enforcement.


Office of Victim Services

The goal of the Office of Victim Services is to provide tools and information to help crime victims recover from their experience and provide them with a range of services available. The criminal justice system can be confusing and intimidating for victims. To assist them as they go through the justice system, the Office of Victim Service is available to answer any questions they may have.


Central Services Division

The Montana Department of Justice’s Central Services Division provides financial and human resources support for the department. We make sure that everything works for the people Working for Justice. If you’re interested in a rewarding career helping protect the rights and safety of all Montanans, we invite you to join our team of over 800 dedicated employees working across the state.


Justice Information Technology Services Division

Our Justice Information Technology Services Division (JITSD) provides vital Information Technology (IT) infrastructure upon which Montanans and local and state law enforcement agencies rely for timely, accurate information. JITSD manages the IT systems, services, and interfaces to support nearly 800 DOJ employees, 325 statewide county motor vehicle system users, and over 3,000 Criminal Justice Information Network (CJIN) users across the state.


Division of Criminal Investigation

The Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) at the Montana Department of Justice is involved in many aspects of Montana law enforcement and is integral to the Department of Justice’s mission of promoting public safety.


Montana Highway Patrol

Montana is rich in natural beauty and history. From Glacier Park in the west to Makoshika Park in the east, the men and women of the Montana Highway Patrol are working hard to make your travels safe and enjoyable. The Highway Patrol’s core values are “Service, Integrity and Respect.” These values are reflected in our commitment to public safety through diligent and fair enforcement of our traffic codes.


Montana Law Enforcement Academy

The Montana Law Enforcement Academy is the premier law enforcement and public safety educational and training institution for state, county, city and tribal officers throughout the state. The Academy offers entry-level programs referred to as Basic Programs and advanced training through an array of Professional Development Programs.


Public Safety Officer Standards & Training

The Council was formed in 2007 under 2-15-2029, MCA as an independent Quasi-judicial board. And as allowed by statute the Council adopted Administrative Rules in order to implement the provisions of Title 44, chapter 4, part 4, MCA. Per 44-4-403, MCA the Council is required to set employment and training standards for all Public Safety Officers as defined in 44-4-401, MCA and in addition the Council shall provide for the certification or recertification of public safety officers and for the suspension or revocation of certification of public safety officers.


Motor Vehicle Division

The mission of the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) is to identify and promote efficient, cost-effective programs that benefit the interests, safety, and well-being of Montana citizens through licensing, registering, and regulating the motoring activities of the public. The MVD continuously strives for excellence in customer service. Streamlining the way we do business has allowed us to improve our efficiency and make our services more convenient for our customers.


Natural Resource Damage Program

The Natural Resource Damage Program (NRDP) was created in 1990 to prepare the state’s lawsuit against the Atlantic Richfield Co. (ARCO) for injuries to the natural resources in the Upper Clark Fork River Basin (UCFRB). Decades of mining and mineral processing operations in and around Butte and Anaconda released substantial quantities of hazardous substances into the Upper Clark Fork River Basin between Butte and Milltown. These hazardous substances extensively degraded the area’s natural resources.


Office of Consumer Protection

Enforce consumer laws designed to protect the consumer from unfair or deceptive business practices. Enforce statutes relating to telephone solicitation and telemarketing. Provide information to consumers about the Consumer Protection Act. Assist consumers by distributing consumer education materials including scam and consumer alerts. Investigate false, misleading, or deceptive trade practices.


Gambling Control Division

Through the Gambling Control Division, the Department of Justice regulates all forms of gambling in Montana, except for the Montana Lottery and horse racing. The legislature has charged the division with maintaining a uniform regulatory climate that is fair and free of corrupt influences. The division is also responsible for collecting gambling revenue for state and local governments.


Human Trafficking

The Montana Department of Justice has a continued commitment to victims of human trafficking. In partnership with federal authorities, our agency plays a key role in the investigation, enforcement, and prosecution of crimes related to human trafficking in Montana. This form of modern day slavery does happen here in Big Sky Country.


Prescription Drug Abuse Awareness Program

Montana’s deadliest drugs aren’t made in secret labs and they don’t always come from dealers on the corner. They’re in our own medicine cabinets. Each year, prescription drug abuse contributes to the deaths of more than 300 Montanans — making prescription drug abuse 15 times more deadly than meth, heroin and cocaine combined. Our kids report the third-highest rate of prescription drug abuse in the country and more than half of them say prescription drugs are easier to get than street drugs.


Safe in Your Space

When it comes to embracing new technology, kids have rapidly outpaced their parents and teachers. By their early school years, many children are already more comfortable on the Internet than their parents. But just because children are smart enough to know how to navigate the Internet, doesn’t mean they have the experience to make good decisions about some of the possibilities they may face online.


Montana Sexual or Violent Offender Registry

Created by the Montana Department of Justice in 1989, the Sexual or Violent Offender Registry is a valuable resource for Montanans to protect their families against sexual or violent offenders.


Montana 24/7 Sobriety Program

Drinking and driving has been a chronic – and deadly — problem on Montana’s roadways for decades. In 2008, Montana was ranked as the deadliest state in the nation when it came to per capita DUI-related traffic fatalities.


Work for Justice

Everyday at The Montana Department of Justice, our employees are dedicated to ensuring the well-being and rights of the people of our great state. We’re passionate about what we do because it’s more than a job or a career. It’s about who we are as people. If this sounds like you, your unique experiences, knowledge, and values may be just what the Montana Department of Justice is looking for and needs. In return we can offer a culture that promotes fairness and growth opportunities.