DRE Basic Certification The DECP/DRE Program trains police officers and other approved public safety officials as Drug Recognition Experts (DREs) through a three-phase training process: Drug Recognition Expert Pre-School (16 hours) Drug Recognition
DRE Basic Certification
The DECP/DRE Program trains police officers and other approved public safety officials as Drug Recognition Experts (DREs) through a three-phase training process:
- Drug Recognition Expert Pre-School (16 hours)
- Drug Recognition Expert DRE School (64 hours)
- Drug Recognition Expert Field Certification (approximately 40 hours).
- Total training hours: 120.
The training relies heavily upon the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFSTs), which provide the foundation for the DEC Program. Once trained and certified, DREs become highly effective officers skilled in the detection and identification of persons impaired or affected by drugs and/or alcohol. DREs are trained to conduct a standardized and systematic 12-step evaluation consisting of physical, mental, and medical components. The DEC/DRE certification course uses a standard national curriculum.
Because of the complexity and technical aspects of the DRE training, not all police officers may be suited for the training. Experience has shown that training a well-defined group of officers proficient in impaired driving enforcement works well and can be very effective.
Montana Requirements to Apply/Attend DRE Certification course:
- Must be a commissioned Montana Peace Officer
- Must have a minimum of two years of service (excluding Reserve time)
- Must have completed the 24-hour SFST course
- Must have completed the 16-hour ARIDE course and scored a minimum of 90% on the final test
- Must have a reasonable background and experience level of making DUI arrests
Location: Fort Harrison RTI Building, Classroom 14 Helena, MT 59601
Time: Classroom portion: January 11 – 15 and 18 – 22, 2021 (0800-1700 hours)
Field Certifications: February 1 – 5, 2021 Mesa, Arizona (times vary)
For Questions and Registration, contact Trooper Doug Samuelson at [email protected]
Any applicants that do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered. Applicants will be selected by a DRE selection committee. Application deadline is December 18th, 2021 at 1700 hours.
11 (Monday) 8:00 am - 15 (Friday) 5:00 am
Ft. Harrison - RTI Building
Doug Samuelson[email protected]