Trooper Recruitment: CLOSED. Please check back as updates will be posted as details are finalized for the next recruitment.
Salary and Benefits
The Montana Highway Patrol offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefit package to troopers:
- Recruits are paid $18.23 per hour while they attend the Law Enforcement Officer Basic Course and the MHP Advanced Traffic Enforcement Course.
- The current salary for a probationary trooper is $22.79 per hour.
- Equipment and Uniforms: The Highway Patrol Division furnishes all equipment and uniforms.
- Vacation: 15 to 24 days per year based on length of service; 10 paid holidays per year.
- Sick Leave: 12 days per year.
- Health and Life Insurance Group Benefits: Troopers become eligible for the insurance plan when they are sworn in with the Highway Patrol. The State of Montana has developed a comprehensive group insurance benefits program including medical plan options with prescription drug and vision exam coverage, dental plan, an employee assistance program (EAP), life insurance options, flexible spending account options and long-term-care insurance. The state contribution covers most of the cost of a trooper’s “core” medical, dental and basic life insurance; troopers may get optional coverage for themselves or their eligible dependents at additional costs. A health promotion program designed to reduce overall insurance costs by offering wellness and prevention classes and biennial health screening is also available.
- Retirement Benefits: Troopers receive full retirement benefits following 20 years of service.
- Other Benefits: Disability Leave, Workers’ Compensation, Deferred Compensation, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)