Montana Attorney General Austin Knudsen and the Montana Highway Patrol, in partnership with the Montana Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association, are hosting the inaugural Montana Law Enforcement Appreciation Poster Contest for elementary school students in Montana to promote public safety and show appreciation for Montana’s law enforcement officers.
Inaugural Montana Law Enforcement Appreciation Poster Contest
- Applicants must be in elementary school.
- Artwork should reflect why the student appreciates law enforcement.
- Artwork should be showcased using at least one of the following: acrylics, watercolor, pencils, charcoal, magic markers, spray paint, crayons, and pastels. Artwork that has been digitally produced is not allowed.
- The preferred size for posters is 8.5 x 14 inches. Submissions that are 8.5×11 and 11×17 will also be allowed.
- To complete the submission, the applicant must also include a brief biography and a completed application.
- Incomplete submissions will be disqualified. Posters must also be a correct size, or the submission may not be accepted.
- Artwork will be judged on:
- Understanding of topic
- Written applications will be judged on:
- Comprehension of the theme
- Grade level appropriate writing
- A regional winner will be selected from an elementary school in each Montana Highway Patrol district. Each regional winner will receive an ice cream social delivered by the Department of Justice. The regions are as follows (click here for map):
- District 1 – Missoula
- District 2 – Great Falls
- District 3 – Butte
- District 4 – Billings
- District 5 – Glendive
- District 6 – Kalispell
- District 7 – Bozeman
- District 8 – Havre
- From the regional winners, one statewide winner will be chosen. The statewide winner and their class will receive a visit from Montana Attorney General Austin Knudsen, MHP Colonel Steve Lavin, and local law enforcement. The winner will also have the opportunity to go on a ride along with Col. Lavin. The winning poster will also be displayed in Montana Highway Patrol offices and made available to law enforcement offices across the state.
- Submissions are due to the Montana Department of Justice by April 15, 2022.
- Winners will be notified April 22, 2022.
- The statewide winner will be announced and celebrate with Attorney General Knudsen and the Montana Highway Patrol during National Police Week in May.
Submit your application
- Mail your application to:
Attorney General’s Office
ATTN: Law Enforcement Poster Contest
215 N. Sanders
Helena, MT 59601
- The application should include:
- The original artwork
- Contest application
- Release form
- Contact the Montana Attorney General’s Office at 406-444-2026 with questions.
Download the application materials here.