Header Image

Crash Records

Most records with Montana Highway Patrol are confidential. Our office will not release anything pertaining to a crash but a crash report number via phone/email. If you are looking for something specific such as a date or time of crash, please order the report. If you are not an entitled party your request will be denied. Crash records can be released, without prejudice, to:

  • persons/businesses/entities named on a crash report
  • a person suffering loss or injury in the accident
  • an agent or parent/legal guardian (of a minor) involved in an accident. An agent is a person’s attorney, insurer, or any other individual or entity with written permission from the involved party to receive the report.
  • public law enforcement officers acting in their official capacity
  • local, state, and federal agencies that use crash information in their official capacity

Records Requests (all are non-refundable search fees):
Crash Report $2.00
Photos $10.00
Video $25.00

Records of any kind are not processed online. All requests must be sent in via mail along with the appropriate documentation and fees.
Read below for further clarification.

Crash Release Form:

  • For a Crash Release Form click here to open Crash Release Form in PDF form.
  • This form is for requesting a copy of a Crash Report. There is a $2.00 non-refundable fee for all crash reports. We can only accept Cash, Check or Money Order. We are unable to accept electronic means of payment. In short, Crash Release Forms MUST be sent in via mail for purchase & authorization purposes.
  • Refer to MCA 61-7-114 for further clarification of release of reports.
  • A crash number is not required when requesting a report HOWEVER please provide as much detail about your crash as possible so to better expedite finding and getting the crash report out in a timely manner. Please be sure to print legibly!
  • The 10-14 day period mentioned in the MHP Crash Release Form or Crash Exchange Form given by the trooper, is not a deadline for producing records. Should the request be voluminous, the records are housed in a location other than the location the record is being sought, the Department may need a reasonable amount of time to review and inspect records; therefore, it may take longer before the records can be made available. The Records Department will make every effort to keep you apprised of timeframes.

White Form:

  • For a White Form click here to open PDF document.
  • This is a self-reporting crash form. This is typically advised by law enforcement for individuals involved in a certain type of crash. White Forms are typically advised when the responding officer determines one of a few things:
    • All parties have left the scene of the crash.
    • The crash happened on private property.
    • Various other reasons deemed by the responding officer.
  • White Forms do not generate a crash number. When you call local law enforcement or MHP Dispatch to report a crash, a dispatch log number is generated and that may be included on this form.
  • Per MCA 61-7-108 law enforcement must be contacted for all crashes within 10 days of them occurring & resulting in over $1000.00 in damage.
  • If there are further questions about a crash you were involved in, that has not been reported, please contact your local law enforcement or our MHP Dispatch to be connected to a Trooper at 855-647-3777.
  • If you are involved in a crash & it is a life-threatening emergency, please contact 911.

You may mail, email or fax White Forms directly to MHP Records:
Mail: P.O. Box 117; Boulder, MT 59632
Fax: 406-444-4169
Email: [email protected]

Photo, Video & Data Requests:

  • There is a $10.00 non-refundable fee for photos. We can only accept Cash, Check or Money Order. Photos will be sent on a CD via mail or the State File Transfer Service if an email address is provided. Please fill out a Crash Release Form to request photos.
  • Video requests, such as dash cam footage, are $25.00 (non-refundable) and will be sent on a CD or USB drive via mail. Not all crashes will have video available and are made by request through the Records Department.
  • Other data requests will go through Records by request and vary in price.
  • Montana Highway Patrol does not house city or county investigated crash photos.

Other Records Requests:


Skip to content