Header Image

Frequently Asked Questions

Montana Highway Patrol FAQ Page

Find answers to our most common questions.

Do you trade or give away patches?

We sincerely appreciate your interest in our agency, however it is Montana Highway Patrol policy not to trade or give away patches. These patches are available for purchase through the Association of Montana Troopers at: http://www.montanatrooper.com/catalog

The reason we do not give away patches is because it takes away money from the Association which is a community-service organization centered on promoting traffic safety and other charitable causes such as the Special Olympics and the Montana Hope Project.

Does Montana recognize out-of-state learner's permits?

Learner’s permits from other states are recognized in Montana provided that the driver is following the provisions of his or her license from the issuing state.

I received a citation but I lost my copy. What can I do?

If you lose a copy of your citation you will either need to contact the Justice Court in the county where it was issued or contact our Communications Center supervisor at 406-841-7001.

Can you confirm if someone has a warrant?

We cannot confirm the status of warrants over the phone. Per NCIC/FBI regulations, we are prohibited from running people’s names in the database without a valid criminal justice reason and verification of the person’s identity. To check your warrant status, please contact the court of jurisdiction where you believe you have a warrant. Please contact our Communications Center supervisor with any questions at 406-841-7001.

My vehicle broke down alongside the road. How long do I have to move it & where can I find out where it was towed?

According to Montana Code Annotated 61-8-356, a vehicle may not be parked or left standing alongside a public highway for longer than 48 hours. If the vehicle is determined to be a hazard, it will be removed immediately. The last-registered owner of the vehicle is responsible for the abandonment and is liable for the costs incurred in removing, storing and disposing of the abandoned vehicle.

To find out where your vehicle was towed, please contact our 24 hour dispatch center at 1-855-MHP(647)-3777 .

Can you tell me what the road conditions are?

Please do not call for the road report. Our Headquarters is located in Helena, Montana and our employees are not privy to the road conditions across the entire state. The most current, verifiable and accessible information is available from the Montana Department of Transportation Traveler Information website. You may also download their road information app here. Finally, you may dial 511 at any time from within the state of Montana for up-to-date road conditions.

How do I obtain a copy of my crash report?

To obtain a copy of your crash report, please Click Here to take you to the printable Crash Release Form. This MUST be sent in via mail. Please include a $2.00 non-refundable processing fee. Click Here for further Records questions.

If you would like a CD of your crash photos, please include an additional $10.00 along with the form Here. This fee will be refunded to you if photos are not available.

Do you need to fill out a White Form? Click Here.

Please mail your request/White Form to:
Montana Highway Patrol
P.O. Box 117
Boulder, MT 59632

Please note that we ONLY accept cash, check or money orders. We cannot accept electronic payments. For questions about crashes, please contact our Records Section at 406-444-1965.

Do you recognize my out-of-state concealed carry permit?

The Attorney General’s Office has determined that concealed weapons permits from the following states are recognized under Montana law:

New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
South Carolina
South Dakota
West Virginia

People who hold permits from the following states may not carry concealed weapons in Montana because their state laws do not expressly require background checks of permit applicants:

District of Columbia
New Hampshire
Rhode Island

No weapons, concealed or otherwise, are allowed in school buildings in Montana.

Even with a concealed weapons permit, you may not carry a concealed weapon in the following places:

  • buildings owned or leased by the federal, state or local government
  • financial institutions
  • any place where alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed and consumed

In addition, be sure to check local regulations, which may restrict carrying concealed weapons at public meetings, and in public parks and buildings.

County sheriffs can provide information on where concealed weapons are prohibited in their counties.

Montana has no prohibitions against carrying a weapon in a motor vehicle.

What should I do if I see a vehicle driving dangerously or erratically?

Dial 911 or contact our 24 hour dispatch center at 1-855-MHP (647)-3777.

How do I conduct a welfare check on an overdue motorist?

Please contact our 24 hour Communications Center at 1-855-MHP(647)-3777 and a dispatcher will take your information and do some checking.

Do I need to follow the truck speed limit?

According to Montana law, the speed limit for a truck or truck tractor of more than 1 ton “manufacturer’s rated capacity” is 70 mph on federal interstate highways daytime and nighttime. Interstate within urban areas  are 65mph daytime and nighttime. All two lane highways are 65 mph daytime and nighttime. For more information please visit the Montana Department of Transportation by clicking here.

I saw that the Montana Department of Transportation is requiring chains. Does that apply to me?

When the Montana Department of Transportation determines that chains or traction equipment are required, it applies to both semis and tow-units on the driver wheels of one axle, NOT passenger vehicles.

How do I become a Montana Highway Patrol Trooper?

To learn more about hiring and the requirements to become a Trooper, click here – RECRUITMENT 

Skip to content