Federal law completely preempts state law regarding gaming on Indian reservations. It requires states to negotiate in good faith to reach gaming compacts to provide for gaming on Indian lands. In compliance with federal law, Montana has class III compacts with five of the state’s seven reservations:
- Assiniboine and Sioux Tribes of the Fort Peck Indian Reservation
- Chippewa Cree Tribe of Rocky Boy’s Indian Reservation
- Crow Tribe of the Crow Indian Reservation
- Gros Ventre and Assiniboine Tribes of the Fort Belknap Indian Reservation
- Northern Cheyenne Tribe of the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation
No compacts currently exist with the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Nation or the Blackfeet Tribe of the Blackfeet Reservation. The Salish and Kootenai and Blackfeet Tribes have casinos offering class II gambling.