Montana Department of Justice
Print Friendly

It is against the law for a partner or family member to cause you bodily harm or cause you to fear bodily harm.

If you are being hurt or threatened with harm, your partner is breaking the law. An Order of Protection is a court order. It’s signed by a judge and says the person who has hurt you or threatened you cannot do that again. It can keep that person from having contact with you. The paperwork necessary to apply for an Order of Protection is here on our website, however, we recommend all persons interested in applying for an order read the following information.


Getting Help

The information on this page answers questions about Orders of Protection and walks users through the process of obtaining one. Click on the questions below for more information. To download and print the entire contents of this page, click here.

Can I get an Order of Protection?

You can ask for an Order of Protection if the person abusing you or threatening you is a family member, intimate partner, or former intimate partner. You can also ask for an Order of Protection if someone is stalking you, or has physically or sexually assaulted you, or has assaulted you, whether or not you have had an intimate relationship with that person.

I think I want an Order of Protection. What do I do first?

First, please talk to a victim advocate. A victim advocate can help you decide if an Order of Protection is right for you. Sometimes an Order of Protection would not be in your best interest. An advocate can help you figure out if an Order of Protection would help you or not. S/he can also give you more information about how to apply for an Order of Protection. A list of all Victim Advocates in Montana — including their phone numbers — is found here on this website.

What do I do next?

You file a petition for an Order of Protection in court. There is no cost. You have to sign an affidavit about what your abuser has done to you. An affidavit is a form that you swear is true and sign in front of a notary or a judge. If the court finds you are in danger of harm, you will first get a Temporary Order of Protection. Then a hearing will be set. You must attend the hearing if you want the Temporary Order of Protection to stay in place. Your abuser can attend the hearing, too. S/he can tell his or her side of the story to the judge. At the hearing, the judge will decide if you should have an Order of Protection. An Order of Protection can last a few days, months, years, or be permanent.

Where do I file an Order of Protection?

A petition for Order of Protection can be filed in city, justice, or district court. If you and the other party have a family law case happening in district court, the petition must be filed in district court. A family law case includes dissolution and parenting plans.

Do I need an attorney?

You do not need an attorney to get an Order of Protection. But it may help you to talk to an attorney before you file a petition for an Order of Protection. It may help you to talk to an attorney before your hearing or to have an attorney help you at the hearing.

You may choose to represent yourself. If you ask a court to grant you an Order of Protection, the following information will help you understand the hearing process and present your case effectively.

Do I have to go to the hearing?

Yes. If you are the Petitioner and do not attend the hearing, the court will dismiss your case, which means that you will not receive an Order of Protection.

What if I cannot attend?

If you absolutely cannot attend the hearing because of an important reason (such as sickness, job interview, family emergency, etc.), you should call the court in which your hearing is set and ask that the hearing be rescheduled. Some courts may require you to file a document called a “motion for continuance”.

How do I prepare for the hearing?

Decide the relief you want the court to give you. You will be asking the judge to grant you an Order of Protection against the person who abused you or threatened to abuse you. You need to tell the judge specifically what you want the Order to say. You can ask the judge to:

  • Order the Respondent not to hurt you;
  • Order the Respondent not to harass or otherwise disturb you (and/or your children);
  • Order the Respondent not to contact you (in person, through 3rd parties, through writing, by email, by telephone, etc.);
  • Order the Respondent to stay a specific distance from you, your residence and/or your place of employment;
  • Order the Respondent to vacate the home you are living in;
  • Order the Respondent to allow you access to your personal property;
  • Order the Respondent not to possess a gun or other dangerous weapon;
  • Order the Respondent to attend batterer’s intervention counseling or drug/alcohol counseling.

Decide the evidence you want to use.

Evidence is what you present in court to prove that the Respondent has harmed or may harm you (and/or your child). Evidence can be your testimony, the testimony of witnesses, documents, photos, or objects such as torn clothing or a weapon.

What happens at the hearing?

If the Respondent does not appear at the hearing, the judge may grant an Order of Protection for you without considering any evidence or may require you to present your evidence so that s/he has it on the record. It is likely (but not guaranteed) that if the Respondent does not appear, you will be granted an Order of Protection. If the Respondent appears and agrees that an Order of Protection should be granted, the judge will probably grant one for you.


Your Case

If the Respondent appears and disagrees that an Order of Protection be granted, the judge will probably ask you to present your case (your side of the story) first.

This includes:

  • Being sworn in to testify truthfully
  • Taking the witness stand
  • Presenting your evidence
  • Asking for the specific relief you need

The judge may ask you specific questions about the situation. After you have finished, the Respondent will have a chance to ask you questions. After the Respondent has finished asking you questions, you will have the opportunity to ask questions of your witnesses. After each of your witnesses is done testifying, the Respondent has the opportunity to ask them questions.

Evidence for Petitioners

“Evidence” is what you present in court to prove that the respondent has harmed or may harm you (and/or your child). Evidence can be your statements (called “testimony”), documents, photos, or objects such as torn clothing or a weapon. The following are examples of the types of evidence that can be used to show the judge that you are in danger and need an Order of Protection.

Your Testimony

You should tell the judge why you want the Order of Protection, including why you are afraid of the respondent. You should include information about times when the respondent abused you. If there have been many abusive times, you should focus your testimony on the most recent and the worst.

  • Describe each time you were abused by telling “who, how, when and where”.

You can tell the judge about:


Example: “The respondent and I were in our house on June 1, 2004. He got mad and called me names like “b#@$%.” He shoved me, my head hit the wall and I blacked out. My child saw it all. I did not go to the hospital because I was afraid.”

Threats of abuse

Example: “I was stopped at the stoplight in my car when he pulled up next to me. When I looked over, he pointed his finger at me like he was pretending it was a gun and he ‘shot’ me.”

Past Protective Orders

Example: “I had a Protection Order against the respondent in Wyoming in 2000. I dismissed the order because respondent promised he would get counseling. He didn’t and now I know that I need to keep the Order of Protection until he finishes counseling and changes his behavior.” You should tell the judge about Protective Orders you have dismissed and explain why. You should make it clear that you do not intend to dismiss the Protective Order you are requesting now until you feel sure that you no longer need it.

Violence Against Others and Animals

Example: “The respondent beat up his sister in 1998 in Dillon. He punched her and gave her a black eye. He was arrested and convicted of assault. Also, he would play a “game” in front of our son. He would pull the cat’s tail until the cat tried to scratch him – then the respondent would punch and kick the cat.”

Testimony of Witnesses

You can ask people who have seen or heard the abuse (and/or threats), or saw you after the abuse and/or threats, to testify at the Order of Protection hearing.

The following are examples of people that you may ask to testify:

  • Family, Friends, Neighbors
  • Medical Providers, Counselors, Dentists
  • Police Officers, Victim Advocates
  • Teachers, Clergy

Physical Items

You can present physical items as you testify in order to prove that you have been abused (and/or threatened). You should ask the judge to “admit” such items as evidence. Some examples of items include:

  • Physical injuries
  • Torn/bloody clothes
  • Damaged property
  • Police reports
  • Medical records
  • Photographs
  • Bills/Invoices
  • Letters, emails
  • Voicemail messages

How can I make sure the judge considers my evidence?

The judge will consider the evidence that s/he is allowed to consider based on the law. It is likely that the Respondent (or his attorney) will “object” to some of your evidence. If that happens, don’t worry – just be prepared to explain to the judge why you think the evidence should be considered.


Respondent’s Case

After you have presented your side of the story, the judge will allow the Respondent to present his/her evidence, including having his/her witnesses testify. If you disagree with what the Respondent or witnesses say, don’t interrupt. You will have a chance to ask the Respondent questions after he/she has testified. You will also have a chance to ask witnesses questions after each has testified and you can use those opportunities to show that the evidence you disagree with is either false or taken out of context. You also will be given the opportunity to testify in response to issues the Respondent brings up that you did not discuss while you presented your case. After both you and the Respondent have finished presenting your cases, the Judge will make a decision as to whether or not to grant an Order of Protection for you.

What if my abuser violates the order of protection?

Violation of an Order of Protection is a crime. You should call local law enforcement immediately. The abuser may be arrested. You should also keep a written diary of all the times the abuser violates the Order of Protection. It could help law enforcement and the prosecutor file criminal charges against the abuser. Only the respondent (or abuser) under an Order of Protection may be cited for a violation; the petitioner (you) who filed for the order may not be cited. A violation of any terms of an Order of Protection is punishable under MCA 45-5-626. If the respondent (abuser) violates an Order of Protection, he or she may also be charged with other crimes such as trespassing (MCA 45-6-203) and stalking (MCA 45-5-220).

How do I protect myself at court?

  • Sit far away from the abuser.
  • Bring a friend, relative, or a Crime Victim Advocate with you.
  • Ask the judge to keep the abuser there for several minutes when court is over and leave quickly.
  • If you think the abuser is following you when you leave, call the police immediately.

How do I protect myself at home?

  • Learn places where you can get help.
  • Keep a phone in a room you can lock from the inside. Get a cellular phone that you keep with you at all times.
  • Plan an escape route out of your home to a safe place. Teach it to your children.
  • Set up a plan with your neighbors to signal them when you need them to call the police.
  • Pack a bag with important things. Keep it ready in case you have to leave quickly. Put it in a safe place or give it to someone you trust. Make sure the bag has cash, keys, court papers, passports, birth certificates, medical records, medicines, formula, diapers.
  • Take a self-defense course.

If your abuser has moved out:

  • Change the locks on doors and windows.
  • Ask neighbors to call police if they see the abuser at your house.
  • Get an unlisted phone number.

What if I am threatened or attacked in my home?

  • Stay away from the kitchen, where the abuser can find weapons like knives.
  • Stay away from small spaces such as bathrooms, closets.
  • Call 911.
  • Get to a room with a door or window. Lock the abuser out if you can.
  • Run to a neighbor or a public place.

How can I help my children be safe?

  • Teach them to not get in the middle of a fight, even if they want to help.
  • Teach them how to get to safety, call emergency numbers, and give your address and phone number to police.
  • Give the school/daycare a copy of your Protection Order. Tell them not to release your children to anyone without talking to you first. Use a password so they know it’s you on the phone. Give them a photo of your abuser.
  • Make sure the children know who to tell at school if they see the abuser.
  • Make sure the school will not give out your address or phone number.

What are other ways I can protect myself?

  • Change your regular travel habits.
  • Get rides with people.
  • Bank and shop at different places.
  • Cancel bank accounts or credit cards you shared with the abuser and open new ones.
  • Keep a cell phone. Program it to speed-dial emergency numbers.
  • Keep your Order of Protection with you always. It is valid in all states.

How can I protect myself at work?

  • Keep your Order of Protection with you. A state-issued Hope Card is a convenient way to carry this information with you at all times. More information is here on this website.
  • Give a picture of your abuser to coworkers and security guards.
  • Tell your supervisors about your abuser. Ask them to help you.
  • Don’t go out alone.
  • Ask a security guard or co-worker to walk you to your car or bus.
  • If your abuser contacts you at work, save the voicemail or email and tell your supervisor.

[legend title=”For additional legal information” style=”1″]Go online to You can find information about legal problems such as divorce, parenting plans, landlord/ tenant issues, and public benefits. You can also find information about getting legal help, community resources, and courts. Can’t find what you want? Use LiveHelp. Click on the LiveHelp picture and get help finding the information you need.[/legend]


Attorney General's Office & Legal Services Division

The Attorney General’s Office, headed by Attorney General Tim Fox, and the Legal Services Division function as the lawyers for the State of Montana. The attorneys in the Office have expertise in a wide range of legal topics and handle a broad range of legal cases involving the State of Montana and its people.


Children’s Justice Bureau

The Children’s Justice Bureau is an agency-wide initiative at the Montana Department of Justice dedicated to IMPROVING how we respond to child victims, DEVELOPING state-of-the-art approaches by keeping up with the newest research and, most importantly, HELPING child victims recover and move on with their lives.


Forensic Science Division & State Crime Lab

The mission of the Montana Forensic Science Division is to use operationally efficient and financially responsible practices as the laboratory provides accurate, objective, and timely forensic analyses to the criminal justice community in order to maximize value to the citizens of Montana.


Missing Persons Clearinghouse

The Missing Children Act of 1985 established a Montana Missing Persons Clearinghouse within the Department of Justice. In March 2008, the department implemented a searchable online database that, for the first time, is updated in real time and includes any photos provided by law enforcement.


Office of Victim Services

The goal of the Office of Victim Services is to provide tools and information to help crime victims recover from their experience and provide them with a range of services available. The criminal justice system can be confusing and intimidating for victims. To assist them as they go through the justice system, the Office of Victim Service is available to answer any questions they may have.


Central Services Division

The Montana Department of Justice’s Central Services Division provides financial and human resources support for the department. We make sure that everything works for the people Working for Justice. If you’re interested in a rewarding career helping protect the rights and safety of all Montanans, we invite you to join our team of over 800 dedicated employees working across the state.


Justice Information Technology Services Division

Our Justice Information Technology Services Division (JITSD) provides vital Information Technology (IT) infrastructure upon which Montanans and local and state law enforcement agencies rely for timely, accurate information. JITSD manages the IT systems, services, and interfaces to support nearly 800 DOJ employees, 325 statewide county motor vehicle system users, and over 3,000 Criminal Justice Information Network (CJIN) users across the state.


Division of Criminal Investigation

The Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) at the Montana Department of Justice is involved in many aspects of Montana law enforcement and is integral to the Department of Justice’s mission of promoting public safety.


Montana Highway Patrol

Montana is rich in natural beauty and history. From Glacier Park in the west to Makoshika Park in the east, the men and women of the Montana Highway Patrol are working hard to make your travels safe and enjoyable. The Highway Patrol’s core values are “Service, Integrity and Respect.” These values are reflected in our commitment to public safety through diligent and fair enforcement of our traffic codes.


Montana Law Enforcement Academy

The Montana Law Enforcement Academy is the premier law enforcement and public safety educational and training institution for state, county, city and tribal officers throughout the state. The Academy offers entry-level programs referred to as Basic Programs and advanced training through an array of Professional Development Programs.


Public Safety Officer Standards & Training

The Council was formed in 2007 under 2-15-2029, MCA as an independent Quasi-judicial board. And as allowed by statute the Council adopted Administrative Rules in order to implement the provisions of Title 44, chapter 4, part 4, MCA. Per 44-4-403, MCA the Council is required to set employment and training standards for all Public Safety Officers as defined in 44-4-401, MCA and in addition the Council shall provide for the certification or recertification of public safety officers and for the suspension or revocation of certification of public safety officers.


Motor Vehicle Division

The mission of the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) is to identify and promote efficient, cost-effective programs that benefit the interests, safety, and well-being of Montana citizens through licensing, registering, and regulating the motoring activities of the public. The MVD continuously strives for excellence in customer service. Streamlining the way we do business has allowed us to improve our efficiency and make our services more convenient for our customers.


Natural Resource Damage Program

The Natural Resource Damage Program (NRDP) was created in 1990 to prepare the state’s lawsuit against the Atlantic Richfield Co. (ARCO) for injuries to the natural resources in the Upper Clark Fork River Basin (UCFRB). Decades of mining and mineral processing operations in and around Butte and Anaconda released substantial quantities of hazardous substances into the Upper Clark Fork River Basin between Butte and Milltown. These hazardous substances extensively degraded the area’s natural resources.


Office of Consumer Protection

Enforce consumer laws designed to protect the consumer from unfair or deceptive business practices. Enforce statutes relating to telephone solicitation and telemarketing. Provide information to consumers about the Consumer Protection Act. Assist consumers by distributing consumer education materials including scam and consumer alerts. Investigate false, misleading, or deceptive trade practices.


Gambling Control Division

Through the Gambling Control Division, the Department of Justice regulates all forms of gambling in Montana, except for the Montana Lottery and horse racing. The legislature has charged the division with maintaining a uniform regulatory climate that is fair and free of corrupt influences. The division is also responsible for collecting gambling revenue for state and local governments.


Human Trafficking

The Montana Department of Justice has a continued commitment to victims of human trafficking. In partnership with federal authorities, our agency plays a key role in the investigation, enforcement, and prosecution of crimes related to human trafficking in Montana. This form of modern day slavery does happen here in Big Sky Country.


Prescription Drug Abuse Awareness Program

Montana’s deadliest drugs aren’t made in secret labs and they don’t always come from dealers on the corner. They’re in our own medicine cabinets. Each year, prescription drug abuse contributes to the deaths of more than 300 Montanans — making prescription drug abuse 15 times more deadly than meth, heroin and cocaine combined. Our kids report the third-highest rate of prescription drug abuse in the country and more than half of them say prescription drugs are easier to get than street drugs.


Safe in Your Space

When it comes to embracing new technology, kids have rapidly outpaced their parents and teachers. By their early school years, many children are already more comfortable on the Internet than their parents. But just because children are smart enough to know how to navigate the Internet, doesn’t mean they have the experience to make good decisions about some of the possibilities they may face online.


Montana Sexual or Violent Offender Registry

Created by the Montana Department of Justice in 1989, the Sexual or Violent Offender Registry is a valuable resource for Montanans to protect their families against sexual or violent offenders.


Montana 24/7 Sobriety Program

Drinking and driving has been a chronic – and deadly — problem on Montana’s roadways for decades. In 2008, Montana was ranked as the deadliest state in the nation when it came to per capita DUI-related traffic fatalities.


Work for Justice

Everyday at The Montana Department of Justice, our employees are dedicated to ensuring the well-being and rights of the people of our great state. We’re passionate about what we do because it’s more than a job or a career. It’s about who we are as people. If this sounds like you, your unique experiences, knowledge, and values may be just what the Montana Department of Justice is looking for and needs. In return we can offer a culture that promotes fairness and growth opportunities.